Friday 31 January 2014

Opinion; Sackings were Long Overdue

I bet the sackings done by the governor were a shock, a surprise and a cause of disbelief. Okay, many people, including me, knew that there were some mega procedural and procurement hitches in tendering in the county. Because, and, maybe, we are used to 'it is my time to eat'', we pardoned the guys to continue with their loot. Personally, I have not given much love to the governor, despite, supporting him in the elections.

I a previous blog, as the race for general elections heated up, i ran candidate by candidate description, and, this is what i said of the great Tom Luusa,''Take one Tom Luusa, for example. If you type his name on the search space yo won't find much about him. A run of governor aspirants in Makueni on the daily nation showed that he was educated in US and Britain, he held senior positions with UNDP, world bank and world vision, majorly as a project manager. Such a profile gets you thinking that this guy is good to put your money on, until you see him some minutes past mid night at club Comfort at Wote(kwa Ngina) hoping from club to club like a newly employed 23-year old guy. He sounds bright and clever when sober, but he lacks in charisma while 'on' several. Someone claimed voting him is like marrying a drunkard'' Read here.

I must admit that i was surprised to see Luusa sacked. He is a man of confidence and many promises. Rumours, before the news, had that tenders had been allocated, I mean, tenders spanning to April 2015. The people to get them had been designated and the youth, you and me, had no place in the Makueni stake. Mark you, internationally, it has been proven that the youth quote low cost in their tenders and end up savings governments and organizations a lot of money.

The move by the governor, at least, to me, was that of making a statement. I am sure Luusa and Muteti had a very big influence in decisions and convincing of other top officials in the county, due to their political nature. Slicing them off has send a very strong message of dedication and commitment to serving the people of Makueni.

I believe, that, the action was long overdue. Much has been swept in the river of graft in the last ten months and while i decry such a loss, I can't help but salute the governor for his defense of the common mwananchi. 

I also know that it is not easy being a leader, but it it this dilemma which makes great leaders out of ordinary people. We, the people of Makueni, think that you are able, and capable. It is time for you to prove that you are.

I think Kivutha heard this, and , he has acted on it. I believe that more people will face the sack after the audit report comes out in March, I will be waiting. 

For this Friday, I can toss the glass in the air as cheers to the governor. I hope that this is the way to go. Now we have the statement.

No comments: