Sunday 6 March 2016

Eyes of my village town

the village town rushed to meet me.
In;
a rushed, round high whirl wind.
the folks call it a whistle.
The dust handed me the childhood memories
wrapped in a newspaper spread
the one the president calls  a meat wrapper.

After shaking hands with the dust
and wiping out some of it that hung on my eyebrows
I saw Juma.
Juma is always seated at the naked foundation stone
On the first turn of the right.
He was seated here in March 1996 when I went home
For my first midterm break in high school
In 2002 during the rainbow elections
and in 2015 when we buried the last ancestor.

Always say hi to Juma, that’s the law.
Hand Juma a twenty bob bill, that’s the law.
Let Juma carry your bag, that’s the law.
Don’t call Juma over, walk to his sitting point. It’s the code.
From where Juma sitteth,
I could see the thigh of the town
To a point where it gave up to two beaten paths
Looking like legs of a malnourished child.

The eyes of the village stay in the tired shops.
The eyes are taken out every time a native stranger
Arrives from the city. The eyes are like camera lenses
They capture, at first shot;
The colour of shoes
The car number plate
And the dress of the lady on your side.
These eyes will see you till the day you will come -

Hearsed.

No comments: